Saturday, March 22, 2008

Information About "Autism: The Musical" Documentary on HBO

The documentary "Autism: The Musical" is scheduled to appear on HBO starting March 25 at 8 p.m., and run various times through April 27. The documentary, directed by Tricia Regan, follows a group of autistic children and their families as they prepare to participate in a musical production in Los Angeles.

Tricia Regan gave an interesting interview with an online video program called The Alcove with Mark Molaro, in which she discusses her experiences filming the families and kids in this documentary. She explains how she saw how having an autistic child changes the lives of parents and their families, and how she came to see these families as heroic.

I found Regan's comments to be sensitive and interesting and so I have embedded a copy of the 18-minute video interview below. (If you have trouble seeing it you can also find it here.)



Also see:

Film Review: Three Reasons to See "Autism: The Musical"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this. It looks like it will be quite good.

Casdok said...

I hope it comes over to the UK! It does sound interesting.

Neuropoet said...

I don't get HBO, but I was able to watch it streamed on the web. As a mother of an autistic boy I was impressed - while there are some things I would take issue with - it's by far one of the best videos done on autism so far. The idea that these children should be valued for who they are, and not treated as a walking bundle of deficits is one that needs to be brought to light in our culture - and this video helps with that. (And I loved that it brings to light the fact that just because someone is non-verbal doesn't mean they don't have anything to say!)

~Jenny

fantasy said...

I want to watch this one. Will they be re-airing this on 2010?

ShareThis