Monday, July 16, 2007

Map of State Autism Insurance Laws, Updated

I've updated the map of legislation that requires some coverage of autism-related services. See the map below.

If you have trouble seeing the map above, you can find it here.


Unknown said...

Does anyone understand the whole concept of pre-existing conditions as it applies to ASD? We are contemplating moving from NY to TX, but I am worried that will mean we won't be able to find health insurance for our daughter.

Anonymous said...

FYI: Colorado also has a State Health Plan waiver program for children 0-6yo who have a diagnosis of Autism and meet certain functional criteria. This program provides eligible children, of almost any income level, both state Medicaid coverage as well as up to $25k per year for behavioral services through providers that meet specific qualifications in both education and experience.

This program is in the process of enrolling its first 75 children, which is currently the maximum number alloted by the legislation. However, our greatest challenge has been with obtaining sufficient providers who both meet the very high qualification standards and are willing to work at the lower-than-market rates.

Michael Goldberg said...

Rebecca, I would check with either a lawyer, or at least an autism advocacy group that knows Texas. I found that the Autism Society of America has a Southeast Texas chapter with a website here.
Pre-existing conditions as applied to health insurance plans are one of those challenges crying out for reform in the American healthcare system.

akwaco said...

Texas just passed legislation that prevents insurance companies from denying autism-related treatment and testing to children from 3 through 5 years of age ... hopefully the law can be expanded to include all people with autism in the future.

However companies whose health insurance is self-funded aren't required to follow state guidelines as they are regulated by federal law (ERISA).

If you're moving to Texas be prepared ... you'll probably have to pay for most therapies and treatments yourself, and it's likely that services you're used to receiving in NY from schools and agencies won't be available here.

MAKE SURE that your childs IEP is updated and that goals and services are clearly defined before you move!!!

Go to to get some great information on resources, advocacy groups, services, and support throughout Texas. This site was put together by Michelle Guppy, a mother who has a son with autism, and she has done a fantastic job!!

Another resource you might want to check is at ... it gives a fairly good overview of the Special Education process in Texas.

If you do move to Texas, get connected with a parent/advocacy group as soon as possible!!!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...


I'm in Austin, TX and services here aren't that great unless you have the money to pay for it yourself and even then it is difficult. If your services in NY are good, I would reconsider moving. Also, Public schools in TX are at the bottom of the ladder as far as the country goes.

Anonymous said...

I just stubbled on this site. And I have an 8 year son with ASD. Just reading some entries I see where people have considered moving to states to get better services. I have thought about doing the same thing. But then, I changed my mind. I should not have to move to get the services AND education my child deserves BY LAW. My heels are dung in...I'm fighting the system. And not only will my son benefit from it, but so will other children.

Niksmom said...

Any info on laws in Delaware? Where would I find tha sort of info?

Unknown said...

The Arizona Legislature passed legislation to require insurance companies to cover autism treatment and the Governor signed it March 21, 2008

This will go into effect January 1,2009. But there is alot of questions to still be answered. Check out Arizona Autism coalition

Anonymous said...

Would my autistic son's therapy be covered by insurance if he and I move to a state that requires insurance coverage for therapy, and my husband, the primary insured, stays, lives and works in Alaska? Does it matter if the insurance company is national or local?